At Parker & Son Funeral Homes, we take great pride in what we do. Our purpose is to:
- Help families make well-planned preparations in their time of need.
- Provide a peaceful and soothing environment where people can gather to honor the life of a loved one.
- Preserve longstanding traditions and customs.
- Offer personalized and affordable services and products. Reach out to the greater community.
We believe that the success of any business requires dedication and professionalism. In our business, in particular, it also requires a great deal of kindness, compassion and attention to detail. You’ll find these qualities in each and every member of our staff at Parker & Son Funeral Homes.
Put your trust in us to make this experience as comfortable and carefree as possible.
The History of Parker & Son Funeral Homes
Parker Funeral Home was established by Howard F. and Roy Parker in 1921, and began operating as Parker Brothers in downtown Lodi.
They purchased the business which had been formerly owned by Sidney R. Auble.
Mr. Auble had operated it since 1902 when he and his brother bought out M.E. Mowery.
Mr. Mowery had been the proprietor since 1895, when he purchased it from the founding owner Mr. Henry D. Weaver, who started the business in 1850.
Howard Parker was a graduate of Wooster Business College and a 1921 graduate of the Cincinnati College of Embalming. He became the sole proprietor of the business in the mid 1920's under the name of H.F. Parker Furniture and Mortician. The business expanded into furniture sales and repair, and also offered ambulance and invalid car services.
Howard's wife Jennie played a vital supporting role in the operation of the business, as well as raising their two sons Richard and Paul, who would join them in the family establishment in 1936 and 1939 respectively, following their graduations from The Cincinnati College of Embalming.
The business would become Parker & Sons Funeral Home, and in 1932 it moved to it's present location on Medina Street. The property included the funeral home as well as a separate facility for a furniture store.
They would go on to later open the branch funeral home on East Main Street in Spencer.
Howard, Paul and Richard would operate together until Howard's death in 1955.
In 1963, fire destroyed the furniture store and it was moved to the former property of Dr. Ernest Crum in downtown Lodi, where it remained until its closing in 1980.
Following Howard's passing in 1953, the business continued as a partnership operated by Richard and Paul until 1973, when Paul and his wife Jean became the owners and incorporated the business.
Their son Bill joined the firm in 1980 after graduating from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science in 1979.
Following Paul's passing in 2003, Bill and his sister Pat have continued the family operation as it's 3rd generation.
They are supported by their mother Jean, longtime employee Dennis Chapman of Lodi, Ken and Jeannine Grieve of Spencer and Funeral Director Reid Firestone also of Spencer.
The year 2011 marks it's 90th anniversary of serving families in this area with compassion and dignity.
Parker & Son Funeral Homes, Inc. is a member of the National & Ohio Funeral Directors Associations, Federated Funeral Directors of America,Tri-County Funeral Directors Association, and the Ohio Embalmers Association. It is also represented in the local Masonic Lodge and Rotary International.